Sunday, January 25, 2009

cake.

I made a trip back to Portland for my dads birthday and chinese new years WoOhoO!

There really is no shopping for my dad because he doesn't need or want anything. So when in doubt...bake!

I decided to make a coconut cake with cream cheese frosting :)

It is a little sloppy, I admit. But hey, its all going to the same place anyway. And as long as it tastes good while getting there...

A lot of coconut cake recipes I came across were pretty difficult. It took a while for me to find a recipe that didn't require super luxurious and obscure ingredients, and a lot of ingredients for that matter. The recipe I used was from Epicurious. Just click on the link to see the recipe! It's pretty simple and most of the ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. More importantly, it tastes awesome! :)

BTW
The website didn't have instructions for the cream cheese frosting, but I am no stranger to the best frosting ever. I just used 16 oz. of soft cream cheese, a stick of butter, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, some cream of coconut, and lots of confectioners sugar... Whipped that all up and VOILA... frosting. The amount of each ingredient is really up to your taste though.

PS.
I couldn't find "canned cream of coconut" (which the recipe calls for) at safeway. I really tried hard to stay away from obscure ingredients. But I found cream of coconut in a bottle in the margarita/pina coloda mixers section. It works just fine.





No comments: